Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Devils Peak Hike


Whilst writing my stew for supper is brewing. This morning, nearly 12 hours earlier, I was up with the early birds and through the gates to Groote Schuur Estate, parked at Rhodes Memorial (1), put on my boots and was off. Two students were looking for the path up to Devilspeak (major). Talked them out of it, too risky without map and guide, thus instead they joined me for a couple of hours. Zak here is part of the mountain map map which is obtainable from the maps or Cape Union Markt, Click map to enlarge and can be enlarged further quite a bit for more details. Google Earth Map


After walking up nearly 250 metres we had a quick break at Kings Blockhouse (2), this English fortification was built soon after the battle of Blaauwberg nearly 200 years ago to protect the Cape against the French. We now had to climb, scramble nearly straigh up from 430 metres to the Fire Lookout (3) at 600m. There we had another well earned break after which we only had to go up another 150 metres. Before turning to Woodstock cave (4) my hiking friends decided to walk at least part of their intended route to the top and must have added another couple of hours and I found 5 hours enought for the day.

My stew is ready and smells deliciousand and instead of me rambling on and on let me upload some photo's which will show the hike better than I being able to tell you the icons below can be seen here .

1 comment:

Aatje said...

what did you put into your stew? and how long did it take to become eatable? are there any leftovers to share with the [coulored]neighbourhood?